Demethius Begins Writing Workshops with Half Price Books
Starting on July 2nd, Demethius Jackson will begin a writing development course at Half Price Books’ Frisco location.
This three-part class is designed for anyone who is interested in enhancing their story-writing ability. Whether your goal is to pursue a literary career, or simply write for fun, writers of all genres and experience levels will be provided with the tools and techniques needed to produce professional quality writing suitable for publication. You will gain hands-on experience by writing, developing, and revising your very own characters and stories, which can be used professionally.
Author Jan Sikes will instruct children ages 8-14, and Demethius will instruct teens and adults. Author Kris Kramer will also teach a specialized section on marketing and promotion which will be part of the program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Fully follow the writing process.
- Identify structural elements in fiction.
- Utilize internet publishing tools.
- Gain practical hands-on writing experience.
- Lesson One – The Writing Process:
- Final Draft
- Lesson Two – Parts of a Plot: The Three Acts of a Story.
- Act One: The Set Up
- Act Two: Confrontation
- Act Three: Resolution
- Lesson Three – Developing Dynamic Characters
- Who is Joseph Campbell?
- What is Hero’s Journey?
- Lesson Four – Writing Great Scenes
- Lesson Five – Writing Tips.
- Common Rookie Mistakes
- Additional Professional Tips
- Lesson Six – Tools of the Trade
- Traditional Publisher vs. Indie Publishing: Pros/Cons.
- Internet Tools (Createspace/Lulu/Wattpad)